MPV is an inclusive group, everyone is welcome: Muslims, non-Muslims, ex-Muslims - we don't discriminate or segregate. In this third session, we’ll build up on the previous discussions (can be found here and here) to explore the following intertwined topics:
- The Islamization of Radicalism: The controversial theory of Oliver Roy, a French social scientist, in which he thinks the real issue that has to be dealt with is radicalism, that gets islamized, rather than a version of islam that turns people into such violent radicals.
- The brutality and nihilism of radicals today: Comparing and contrasting ISIL and the Mexican drug cartels.
- Who are the new jihadis by Oliver Roy [summary of his book on the topic]
- Mexico’s cartels are more depraved, dangerous than ISIL (sociologist Musa Al-Gharbi's analysis)
- Yahya Cholil Staquf Recent Time Interview, In which he links terrorism with the orthodox view of Islam.
- Why ISIS is Laughable but Effective, General Stanley McChrystal
- Millions put their faith in Mexico's Saint Death
Please call Fahimah at 0423317595 to be let into the building at 7pm.